New article in the Economist criticizing Linux usability

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 21:41:12 UTC 2012

| From: Sammy Lao <sammy.lao-OvU2V46eqDdvgyatUqoQW0B+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org>

| http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/03/desktop-linux

I think that the observations are correct but the narative is wrong.

- Linux distros are stable (CentOS, Debian Stable, Ubuntu LTS) OR
  exciting.  He seems to think that he can have both, predictably and
  reliably.

  I seem to remember some serious quality control lapses in recent
  Ubuntu releases.  Like it or not, that is the face of Linux these
  days.

- <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice:_Why_More_Is_Less>
  "eliminating consumer choices can greatly reduce anxiety for
  shoppers."

  There are lots of distros and programs to choose from in the Linux
  world.  How can you know if you are making or have made the right
  choice?  Windows and OSX are much more take-it-or-leave-it
  propositions

  I happen to like the choice, but it does cost me time to keep up
  with them and decide how to go.

- some wars are better lost than fought.  Think of World War I:
  each side would have been better off if they had lost in
  August 1914 rather than fighting on until 1918.
  I experience this with some Linux problems: all can (in theory)
  be solved because I have access to the source code.  But
  the cost may be worse than just accepting the problem.

- Parts of the world are conspiring against Linux:

  + patented CODECs

  + standards mandating patented thingees.

  + markets mandating patented thingees.
	<http://brendaneich.com/2012/03/video-mobile-and-the-open-web/>

  + MS Requirements on video card makers to keep certain
    parts secret

  + DRM.  Linux and DRM don't mix well at all.  Everything, including
    our government is going DRM.

- people in positions of power in the Linux ecosystem falling in love
  with OSX, Windows, or some other ecosystem.

  + Gnome is currently annoying all its previous users with its push
    to simplicity and tablet style.  On my 30" screen, I'm
    particularly annoyed.

  + Ubuntu Unity seems slightly worse to me.  Shuttleworth seems to be
    trying to be like Jobs.  Fair enough, it's his nickle.

- mediocre video drivers were pretty functional until desktops put 3d
  demands on them.  I think we're in a better place than 5 years ago
  but the payoff to me has been minor, disporportionate to the agony.
  I don't think that I intentionally use any 3d features.  Kernel Mode
  Setting is part of the mix too.

All that being said, I find the few times I use Windows to be a great
burden.  I don't use OSX.