Cheap man's version of 8-bay disk array?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 15:26:28 UTC 2012

> From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>

> But what you might save in a handful of dollars, you will
> pay vastly greater in your time.

Since no one is paying for my time, it's free. :-)
My issue with these devices is their crappy power supply.
When they burn out, you can only pray they don't take the
disks with them, which happened to me personally.  These
devices are not cheap enough to be "disposable", and disks
are expensive these days.

The best solution I could find so far is
<http://ain.mediasonic.ca/store/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=264>
and use ATX power supply for 12V/5A.  I would need to bolt
multiple of these on to something non-combustible and well
ventilated.