Activists creating decentralized mesh network that can't be blocked, filtered or silenced

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 14:09:13 UTC 2012

Anthony Verevkin wrote:
> I just found that similar networks are being built by HAM radio
> enthusiasts. If you are licensed (which means you've passed an exam)
> you can use the same 2.4 GHz bands with much higher power limits.
> You can even slightly go below the frequency of the channel 1 which
> can be done with Atheros-based wifi.

Amateur radio has had "mesh" networks for decades.  Packet radio has
been around for at least 30 years and has been used to carry TCP/IP.  I
used to regularly use packet radio, on the 2 metre band, back in the
80's & 90's.  If you have an amateur radio license, you have your choice
of several bands to use, along with much more power.  1 kilowatt
transmitters are entirely legal for licenced radio amateurs.  Even
before packet on amateur radio, there was the University of Hawaii Aloha
network, which used packets via radio links to connect campuses on the
various islands.  This network, BTW, was the inspiration for Bob
Metcalfe, who co-invented Ethernet.