Activists creating decentralized mesh network that can't be blocked, filtered or silenced

Anthony Verevkin anthony-P5WJPa9AKEcsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 01:48:10 UTC 2012

> From: "Thomas Milne" <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> I've always suspected that the political process as currently
> configured is fundamentally untrustworthy, and that the best methods
> for preserving freedom are technical methods (a la Byron Sonne). I
> would LOVE to be part of building something like this, anyone know of
> anything like this locally?
>
> http://goo.gl/7Vnua

I just found that similar networks are being built by HAM radio
enthusiasts. If you are licensed (which means you've passed an exam)
you can use the same 2.4 GHz bands with much higher power limits.
You can even slightly go below the frequency of the channel 1 which
can be done with Atheros-based wifi.

http://kb9mwr.blogspot.com has a lot of information on the subject
(specifically check the 2010 articles). It also mentions people in
Wisconsin, Texas, San-Francisco and Italy building HAM radio data
networks.

HAM radio (both data and old-school voice) positions itself as a
volunteer run network for emergency communications which is used
for fun and experiments in all the other time.

I didn't find any information on such networks being built in GTA,
maybe it's worth asking the local HAM radio clubs. Anyway with an
amateur license and access to high power equipment that it gives it
is absolutely possible to build such network with just a few interested
geeks from this mailing list.

Regards,
Anthony