[TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: GTALUG Meeting on Tuesday 10th April, 2012 at 7:30 pm

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 1 15:51:57 UTC 2012

http://drpcdr.ca/LMLXDE.pdf

Title: Experimentation with Linux Mint LXDE, April 01, 2012
Purpose: To rapidly deploy current OS onto:
(1) Old computers like year 1999 P3, 500 MHz, max 512 RAM
(2) Apple Intel from 2006 to present
(3) Apple Power PC (PPC), 1998 – 2005. This was not achieved in this experiment.
Apparatus:
(1) Software I used: Linux Mint LXDE, Image for Linux, Bootit NG (all
on 3 X 700 MB CD blanks)
(2) Hardware: Pentium Duo MB, 1.5 GB RAM, 16GB flash drive, HDDs of
20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 160 and 320 GB sizes
(3) Services: Internet access: Ethernet and Wireless
Method:
(1) Downloaded and burned to CD, Image for Linux ,
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image‐for‐linux.htm
(2) Downloaded and burned to CD, BootitNG from:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit‐nextgeneration.
htm. Bootit Bare Metal is the more recent version of Bootit NG:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot‐Manager‐Disk/BootIt‐Next‐Generation.shtml
(3) I Downloaded and burned to CD, : Linux Mint LXDE,
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=60
(4) Installed Linux Mint LXDE on the hard disks as follows:
16 GB flash drive: Linux = 6 GB, swap = 3 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
20 GB HDD: Linux = 6 GB, swap = 3 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
30 GB HDD: Linux = 9 GB, swap = 5 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
40 GB HDD: Linux = 12 GB, swap = 6 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
60 GB HDD: Linux = 18 GB, swap = 9 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
80 GB HDD: Linux = 24 GB, swap = 12 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
160 GB HDD: Linux = 48 GB, swap = 24 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
320 GB HDD: Linux = 96 GB, swap = 48 GB, remainder = NTFS data partition
(5) I used BootitNG to deploy a NTFS data partition (I use for images
of Windows) to the remaining free space.
(6) In terminal I told Linux Mint 9 LXDE to auto mount the NTFS data partition
sudo fdisk ‐l
id user1
sudo su
echo "/dev/sda3 /media/My_Data ntfs
defaults,umask=0022,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
sudo reboot
(7) Moved documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos folders to
My_Data on data partition.
I created a folder called My_Desktop and ISO in My_Data on data partition.
(8) I told Firefox to NOT remember history and set default download
path, Home/User/Desktop
Set homepage to http://google.ca
Added bookmark toolbars for:
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews,
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/transit.shtml,
http://www.meetup.com/, http://kijiji.ca, http://express.paltalk.com/,
http://www.facebook.com/,
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym, http://www.linkedin.com/
(9) In terminal I installed generic lucid drivers for wireless network adapters:
sudo apt‐get install linux‐backports‐modules‐wireless‐lucid‐generic
sudo apt‐get update
(10) I refreshed the synaptic package manager and marked for online
update including the recommended and
suggested software for the following:
Adobe flash plugin 11, Acrobat reader, Acidrip, Efax, Gufw, Gparted,
Gedit, Gnome‐device‐manager, Gnomesystem‐
monitor, K9 copy and Ripoff, upgraded libdvdcss2
(11) I researched a video editor for Linux and found Openshot and
installed it from Firefox at:
http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/openshot
(12) In terminal I installed Blender which functions with Openshot:
sudo add‐apt‐repository ppa:openshot.developers/ppa
sudo apt‐get update
sudo apt‐get install Openshot blender
(13) I researched and found Damnvid for downloading YouTube video
and/or converting them to MP3
I installed Damnvid in terminal as follows:
sudo add‐apt‐repository ppa:damnvid/ppa
sudo apt‐get update
sudo apt‐get install Damnvid
(14) I updated and configured Damnvid to download MP3 to data
partition (from converted YouTube video).
(15) I researched and found Banshee for synching iPods and installed
it in terminal:
sudo add‐apt‐repository ppa:banshee‐team/ppa
sudo apt‐get update
sudo apt‐get install banshee
(16) Installed OpenOffice Light from a tar ball,
OOoLight_1.0_100922_LinuxIntel_install_deb.tar.gz, obtained from
http://download.ooolight.org/en as follows:
mkdir /home/user1/tarsrc/
Using file manager, I copied file,
OOoLight_1.0_100922_LinuxIntel_install_deb.tar.gz to tarsrc folder
cd ./tarsrc
tar ‐zxvf OOoLight_1.0_100922_LinuxIntel_install_deb.tar.gz
ls
cd ./en‐US/DEBS
sudo dpkg ‐i *.deb
Finished installation by double‐clicking on extracted file in
/home/user1/Tar_Src/en‐US/DEBS/desktopintegration
called OoLight‐debian‐menus_1.0‐10_all.deb
(17) Deleted ./tarsrc
(18) Emptied recycle bin
(19) Installed Skype 2.2 from file, skype‐ubuntu_2.2.0.35‐1_i386.deb, at:
http://hotfile.com/dl/121097168/6fb8e59/skype‐ubuntu_2.2.0.35‐1_i386.deb.html
Doubled clicked on the Skype file and Skype installed automatically
(20) Organized shortcuts to programs into a folder called stuff. Stuff
folder was copied to desktop and home folder.
(21) I deleted the bookmarks of the file manager and added a bookmark
for Stuff, My_Data and My_Desktop.
(22) I told Transmission to download to /media/My_Data/Downloads,
Ripoff to rip tracks to
/media/My_Data/music, Blender and K9 copy to rip DVD tracks to
/media/My_Data/Videos, audio to ~/Music,
ISO to ~/ISO
(23) In Terminal I setup Gufw as follows:
sudo su
# obtain server's IP address
SERVERIP=`hostname ‐‐all‐ip‐addresses | cut ‐‐fields 1 ‐‐delimiter " "`
# disable firewall
sudo ufw disable
# reset all firewall rules
sudo ufw reset
# set default rules: deny all incoming traffic, allow all outgoing traffic
sudo ufw default deny incoming
sudo ufw default allow outgoing
# open port for SSH
sudo ufw allow ssh
# open port for Webmin
sudo ufw allow webmin
# open ports for Samba file sharing
sudo ufw allow from 10.0.0.0/8 to $SERVERIP app Samba
sudo ufw allow to 10.0.0.0/8 from $SERVERIP app Samba
# open ports for Transmission‐Daemon
sudo ufw allow 9091
sudo ufw allow 20500:20599/tcp
sudo ufw allow 20500:20599/udp
# open port for MySQL
# open ports for Lighttpd
sudo ufw allow proto tcp from 10.0.0.0/8 to any port 3306
# sudo ufw allow “Lighttpd Full”
# open port for network time protocol (ntpd)
sudo ufw allow ntp
# enable firewall
sudo ufw enable
# list all firewall rules
sudo ufw status verbose
(24) Used Image for Linux to create image of entire hard disk into 1
file of type, tbi, and 1.5 GB in size. The Linux file
system consumed less than 3.5 GB. Created LM9LXDE_16F, LM9LXDE_20,
LM9LXDE_30, LM9LXDE_40,
LM9LXDE_80, and LM9LXDE_160, LM9LXDE_320.tbi
Results:
(1) The images deployed with lightning speed, a mere 2 minutes to
restore to target HDD and under 5 minutes to
create and validate an image. Linux detects and installs hardware so
amazingly fast!
(2) On MacBook Pro 2006, Intel Celeron dual core 2 GHz
I had to comment out reference to My_Data in etc/fstab to achieve boot
on MacBook pro ~2006
Source:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleiSight?action=show&redirect=AppleiSight
To install isight webcam on MacBook pro 2006:
Download AppleUSBVideoSupport firmware from
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/332246/AppleUSBVideoSupport
sudo apt‐get install isight‐firmware‐tools
su ‐c "ift‐extract ‐‐apple‐driver AppleUSBVideoSupport"
Power off then turn on the computer.
Worked with Cheese but webcam failed to work with Skype
Everything else worked fine. See
http://drpcdr.ca/frank_intel_franken_tosh/frank_intel_franken_tosh.html
I also deployed my Linux image on a IBM P3, 500 MHz 512 RAM, on a HP
Omni book 6000, P3 800 MHz 512 RAM
and it played YouTube video by Ethernet flawlessly!
I used BootitNG to paste an image of the Linux partition onto the NTFS
data partition as a file called Backup1.img
This will be used to rescue Linux in the future!
(3) I don't believe in updating browsers especially online. Linux Mint
9 LXDE has Firefox 3.6.
Conclusion:
(1) Linux Mint 9 LXDE runs and deploys amazingly quickly on old PC
hardware and onto Intel based Macs!
(2) It is 100 percent compatible with Ubuntu, based on Lubuntu!
(3) Linux requires hacking to get things working, especially printers
and webcams

--
http://drpcdr.ca
http://jobcircle.ca