Microsoft tries to block Linux off Windows 8 PCs

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 30 11:00:54 UTC 2011

Sorry for the late weigh in, but here are some of my thoughts on this
matter.

Having read the discourses on this topic on this and another list, and
having read the article, I can see the reason for concern.

As far as I understand the situation, this has not moved past the discussion
phase.

If it comes to pass, then Linux users will be required to be more selective
in their choice of hardware distributor. There are quite a few businesses
that sell prebuilt machines without an operating system.

If Microsoft chooses to implement this idea and, by virtue of their buying
power, to coerce vendors into adopting it, then those that sell systems
without an operating system can only benefit from the increased sales caused
thereby.

While this does pose a restriction on the possible number of previously
constructed computers available, why is this a bad thing?

Selling Windows as part of the computer purchase drives up the cost to all
parties, especially the consumer.  Additionally, it increases the perceived
market share of Microsoft because the numbers touted do not reflect
instances where Windows is immediately removed by the user.  As there's no
central body to maintain figures on the prevalence of Linux, and not
everyone will report their preferences, there's no relevant data on the
adoption of Linux.

Really, this isn't much different than the tactics employed by Apple in
regard to their computers. They force you to buy their hardware if you want
the operating system.  Why is there no hue and cry against them?

Overall, I see this as something, that, should it happen, will be painful,
but will ultimately benefit the consumer as more companies will be required
to fill the need for computers without Windows.

Alex Gabriel
alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org