Microsoft tries to block Linux off Windows 8 PCs

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 22 15:47:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | My question is what will happen when relevant Certificate Authorities
> | get "hacked" - ala DigiNotar and Comodo?
>
> There is no CA, at least according to the article referenced in the
> first post.

OK, you got me... I didn't read the article Colin referred to - but
had read several other articles before noticing the thread.

Here's a relevant quote from The H:

"This requires any firmware and boot process software – including boot
loaders as well as elements such as UEFI drivers for on-board
components and expansion cards – to be signed by a trusted Certificate
Authority (CA)."

Source: <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Community-fears-Windows-8-Secure-Boot-will-block-Linux-1347997.html>

> And hacking like this gets you thrown in jail in the US (DMCA) and
> soon to be in Canada (on this fall's legislative agenda by all
> accounts).  Hardly a basis for an above-board company's business
> model.

Oh, agreed.  But, as evidenced by the DigiNotar hack (and plenty of
other examples), that won't stop those who are not above-board.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems