Microsoft tries to block Linux off Windows 8 PCs

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 21 22:00:28 UTC 2011

The central point in all of this is that ANY OS that is not properly
signed in Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) will not be
allowed to boot. In other words, NO Linux will run (unless the
hardware vendor has included a signature for YOUR Linux distro.),
ditto old versions of Microsoft Windows, ditto other free OSs such as
FreeBSD. The reason the hardware vendors would add UEFI is because
they will not be able to use the Windows 8 logo without UEFI. Bottom
line, this is Microsoft under the cover of "security" attacking Linux,
other free OSs and old versions of Windows.

Colin