OT disturbing call

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 20 18:30:17 UTC 2011

Friend of mine received a call from a political party the other day.  He responded with, "Oh, there's an election?"  (He has a truly evil sense of humour.)

"And is Obama running in my riding?  No?  Good.  I hate the Republican party., so I'd never vote for him.  I hear he's a Tea-Party supporter.  I prefer coffee."

"Is it too late for me to run?"  (By now, the poor woman is convinced she's dealing with a lunatic.)

"And you said you're from the Democrats?  Oh, the Liberals?  Can you tell me what your policies are?  And the other parties who are running?"

Fifteen minutes later... "And what about the Republicans and Democrats?  Who are they running in my riding?  Nobody?  So I could run for one of those parties?"

"Well, thank you very much for your time.  Can I call you back if I have any more questions?"

He's certain that the local Liberal candidate's people will NOT be calling HIM back any time soon.

On September 20, 2011 14:12:50 you wrote:
> Why answer these questions at all? After all, your vote is secret for a
> reason.
>
> What use is this information to the people that are doing the asking?
> Perhaps it goes into a published poll, but what value is a published poll
> to the electoral process? It just fuels the herd instinct. No kidding,
> I've heard people say that they want to be part of the winning side, ie,
> vote with the majority, regardless.
>
> Or if it goes into a private poll, perhaps it's used to tailor strategy to
> entice voters. Is that desireable?
>
> Sometimes political parties call me to ask 'Can we count on your vote?'
> and I say that my vote is confidential. They usually backtrack like crazy,
> because they *know* that it's confidential, and they know why.
>
> The one time I would consider responding is when the poll is evidently
> being done by a group one disagrees with. Then you can feed misinformation
> to them...
>
> Peter
>
> > They phoned me, it was a call in
> >
> > Dave Cramer
> > VP Software Development
> > Visible Assets Inc.
> > www.visibleassets.com
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> Where was the survey and how did you end up at it?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't