OT disturbing call

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 20 18:12:50 UTC 2011

Why answer these questions at all? After all, your vote is secret for a
reason.

What use is this information to the people that are doing the asking?
Perhaps it goes into a published poll, but what value is a published poll
to the electoral process? It just fuels the herd instinct. No kidding,
I've heard people say that they want to be part of the winning side, ie,
vote with the majority, regardless.

Or if it goes into a private poll, perhaps it's used to tailor strategy to
entice voters. Is that desireable?

Sometimes political parties call me to ask 'Can we count on your vote?'
and I say that my vote is confidential. They usually backtrack like crazy,
because they *know* that it's confidential, and they know why.

The one time I would consider responding is when the poll is evidently
being done by a group one disagrees with. Then you can feed misinformation
to them...

Peter

> They phoned me, it was a call in
>
> Dave Cramer
> VP Software Development
> Visible Assets Inc.
> www.visibleassets.com
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Where was the survey and how did you end up at it?
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2011 9:46 AM, "Dave Cramer" <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> So I answered a survey which seemed to be a poll about the election,
>>> not 1 minute after I received a call from the party I had named as my
>>> likely choice.
>>>
>>> Anyone else had this happen, or heard about it ?
>>>
>>> Dave Cramer
>>> VP Software Development
>>> Visible Assets Inc.
>>> www.visibleassets.com
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group. Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325