Geeks and health (was: Re: GTALUG Meeting on 13th September, 2011 at 7:30pm)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 19 23:14:45 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 05:17 PM, Jason A. Spiro wrote:
> I unfortunately missed Clifford's talk about geeks and health.  I did
> a web search for related information.  I found a little bit, including
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/188211/health_tips_for_geeks.html and
> http://boagworld.com/reviews/health/.
>
> But those sites didn't cover as wide a range of topics as it seems
> Clifford did.  Does anyone have a video, a recording, or slides of
> Clifford's talk?

Hi Jason,

There were no slides since I don't like using them. I feel it puts up a
barrier between me and the audience and I prefer a more informal
presentation where audience participation is encouraged and we got
exactly that. I don't know if anyone was recording the presentation. If
they were, I'd love to have a copy, too.

I made what some people thought was a controversial statement when I
said that contrary to popular opinion, coconut oil is a healthy oil. One
participant said that canola was in fact a healthy option. I didn't
dispute the point because ultimately, everyone should be responsible for
their own health and do their own homework.

I was reminded of that discussion when I stumbled upon a few YouTube
videos on the weekend on the topic of coconut oil's health benefits.
Knowing that some of the subscribers to this list don't have the Flash
plug-in installed, these articles should provide a good starting point
for your research:
<http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx>
and
<http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/09/13/coconut-oil-part-three.aspx>.
Note that Dr. Mercola recommends oils that have NOT been hydrogenated,
which I believe everyone in attendance who had an opinion on the
subject, also knew. I consume only organic, cold-pressed, virgin,
non-hydrogenated coconut oil. The only other oil I use is cold-pressed,
extra virgin olive oil I purchase from a store that knows the provenance
of the oil. There is a lot of fraud in olive oil where some of the
brands aren't even olive oil at all and are inferior oils like canola
with food colouring and artificial flavours added to make it taste like
olive oil. Buyer beware!
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay