Router/FW hardware w. low power consumption and low price

Jarl Stefansson jarl.stefansson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 14 18:20:58 UTC 2011

Yesterday some of us were talking about good hardware to run a linux based
router/fw/etc on and I promised to share the following hardware name/specs
with the list:

Ubiquity RouterStation Pro
Gigabit Ethernet Switch (4 ports, use VLANs to split them up)
720/800MHz CPU (Atheros AR7161 MIPS)
128MB RAM
16MB Flash
USB 2.0 Support
3x mini pci
$79 USD (without an enclosure or psu, can use PoE or DC 48V)
http://www.ubnt.com/rspro

At the time I thought it was ARM based but as you can see it's MIPS, however
if you prefer ARM the following two should fit the bill with 4+ gigabit
ports at around $100

Linksys/Cisco WRT350N v2
D-Link DIR-665

--