Map non-127.x.x.x address back to own machine?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 14 05:12:46 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 01:07 AM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 12:57 AM, Ori Idan wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Amanda Yilmaz <ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
>> <mailto:ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     Is there a way to make an IP address outside the 127.x.x.x range
>>     (say, 192.168.56.101) map back to your own machine when accessed
>>     from your own machine, as if it were another alias for localhost?
>>     I'd like this to happen only on my own machine, and not interfere
>>     with anyone else's use of said IP address on the local network.
>>     This is for testing purposes only.
>>
>>     I've been poring over the documentation for route, arp, tun/tap,
>>     etc., but don't have a deep enough understanding of Linux
>>     networking to know where to begin.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Amanda
>>

>> I guess you only have to put a line in /etc/hosts like:
>> 192.168.56.101  localhost
>>
>> --
>> Ori Idan
>>

> Alternatively you can actually add mulitple IPs to the loopback
> interface.
> I'm not sure the correct terminology for this is, but sure someone on
> list can explain it. (I could find a meaningful answer quickly in the
> man page.
>
> ifconfig lo:1 192.168.56.101
>

> I've tested this on my machine and it works.

Okay, no more answer questions when it's time to sleep. s/could/could not/

Anyways, the correct term seems to be Aliasing.
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/05/assign-virtual-ips-to-your-nic/

I wanted to say vlan, but that's the eth0.1 (dot) notation.

All the above does is create and alias on the loopback network device
instead of on say eth0 as would more likely happen.
--
Scott Sullivan