ssh/ethernet hanging...

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 00:48:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:18:43AM +0000, alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org wrote:

> My first question would be whether you've tested the network connection through another means when the SSH transfer hangs. I.e. Pull up a web browser on the machine and access an Internet location.
> If the network connection itself is down, obviously the culprit is the network card.

The network connection goes down. So I guess it's the cards -- all three of them.

> Have you tried with a smaller number of files? Say 7000 instead of 8000?

Smaller transfers are fine; it doesn't blink at several hundred, surely.

> I'm not aware of any volume limits related to SSH specifically, but you could try seeing if it always fails at a particular file, or after a specific number of files transferred.

It seems to vary with the number. I've tried different sets of files and I get the hang
after some number. Don't know if it's the same number -- but it definitely isn't the same
file.

> This sounds more like an issue with the hardware itself as opposed to the software, really.

Yes, it does. Where? Not in the cards (since it happens with several) or in the drivers (for
the same reason) -- so I'm tempted to suspect something somewhere else in the system, such as
an onboard cache or some buffer memory that gradually gets filled up. But those are the purest
speculation.

I don't remember having any such issues with this computer the last time it was in general
service, which is now a few years ago. (In the meantime it's been doing simple print/samba
server duty at home.) Maybe I should just retire the old hardware. But perhaps there is
something that can be done...

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42