ssh/ethernet hanging...

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 12 23:58:59 UTC 2011

After persistant hangs and errors in one of my computers, I took out all the
added memory and the gigabyte ethernet cards, reverting to some old DDR memory
and the on-board via-rhine LAN.  The memory has worked well. But I'm still having
an occasional problem with ssh transfers -- specifically, when I transfer lots of
files (no one of which is all that large), at some indeterminate point in the
process, it just hangs.

Before I blamed it on the gigabyte ethernet cards. But the on-board LAN is just
a 10/100 connection. And I get it even when the computer is doing sending, not
just when it's receiving. So where's the problem? Is it ssh or is it the ethernet
card? It seems improbable that three distinct kernel drivers (two for the gigabyte
cards and one for the on-board LAN) are each buggy in the same way. But google as
I might, I don't find anything about ssh failing after, ohh, 8000 files or so. It
has had problems with extremely large files, but that doesn't seem to be what's
going on here.

I set ssh verbosity to VERBOSE in the logfiles, and I get nothing. It just stops.

Buggy hardware on the motherboard? Seems like it could be some kind of cache memory
that fills up... I really have no clue at this point. All suggestions welcome.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42