(question) Raid5 + Encryption -- which is first?

Ted ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 8 20:07:09 UTC 2011

On 09/08/2011 04:00 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I want to encrypt a whole filesystem which is Raid5, do I make Raid5 first and then mount it as "encrypted" partition?  (my guess is yes).
>
> But, that begs question.  What if I add a device to Raid5?  Will it be transparent to encryption layer, or will it screw it up?

encrypion happens  at partition file system level, above raid.
you can add a device, put you can't alter the partition the encryption
is on.
if you are adding a device that will fail over to, thats fine, the
encryption  level of this doesn't need to know or notice that.
A raid drive can "rebuild" fine, and the encrypted fs on top of it will
not be effected.
But if you are talking about expanding size? i don't know of a encrypted
fs that has expand capabilities for resize, but
maybe there is, but if not, have to define new FS of new size, and copy
over to. or on the R5 you can add a drive and
make a new partition from unused space across the disk set, that is fine
as well.
Now you say "encrypted partition", but i think of only encrypted FS. If
there is encrypted  partition? my thinking goes out window.

-tl