Call from Wicrosoft

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 7 18:50:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM,  <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I just had a call ostensibly from Microsoft in California. The gentleman
> (Chris Brown) says there is something wrong with my computer which is
> confusing their servers.
>
> He gave his phone number as 424-256-2700.
>
> Since I'm runing Suse Linux it does seem unlikely I'd be screwing over a
> Microsoft Server.

I got one of these calls a few weeks ago and played it out for as long
as I had the stomach to do so (my home has a mix of Debian, Ubuntu
boxes, plus one Sun and one Mac to keep things interesting). Bottom
line, the guy wanted me to go to a website download and install some
software (I assume the software is some sort of Microsoft
ultra-malware). Pretty safe bet these people are doing this to make
some money, and the way to stop them is to make it all unprofitable
for them. So, WASTE their time, pretend to be stupid about computers,
drag things out, reduce the number of people this person can call per
day....