security issue: DigiNotar root certificate hacked

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 7 16:05:36 UTC 2011

This is most unfortunate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar

" July 10, 2011, DigiNotar issued a
certificate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_(cryptography)>for
Google <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google> to unknown persons in
Iran<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran>that was used for a
man-in-the-middle
attack <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack> against
GMail<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMail>
.[6]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar#cite_note-googleonlinesecurity-5>
[7] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar#cite_note-6> On August 28, 2011,
problems were observed on multiple Internet service
providers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_providers>in
Iran.
[8] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar#cite_note-7> The fraudulent
certificate was posted on pastebin <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastebin>.[
9] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar#cite_note-8> According to a news
release by Vasco, DigiNotar had detected an intrusion into its certificate
authority infrastructure on July 19,
2011.[10]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiNotar#cite_note-9>DigiNotar
did not publicly reveal the security breach at the time."