OT: replacement fan for an Intel heatsink

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 22:53:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Scott Allen <mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 22/08/2011, Andrej Marjan <andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > That said, since I can't find a replacement fan for the stock fan, I'll
> have
> > to swap the whole thing out.
>
> Sometimes you can remove the sticker from the hub of the fan to expose
> the shaft and bearing, apply a few drop of oil in the hole, and then
> cover the area where the sticker was with a small piece of electrical
> tape. This may quiet the fan down for a while to give you more time to
> search for a replacement or wait for a deal on a new heat sink
> assembly.

Thank you for pointing out the blindingly obvious! Funny how mental blocks
work - I've oiled my printer's scanner assembly several times, but it just
didn't occur to me to oil a CPU fan.

That said, alas there's nothing underneath the sticker but plastic -- one
has to remove the fan (with shaft) from the motor to get at the bearings,
which is very difficult to do.

So the computer now has a new cooler and since the Intel fan isn't needed
anymore, I forced the fan out of the motor, but I mauled the soft insulating
collar around the magnet in the fan in the process.

If it's possible to oil one of these suckers without damaging it, it takes
more skill and/or better tools than I have.