OT: Opinion, best open source license to use?

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 21:44:25 UTC 2011

Here is my main reasons for open sourcing it:

1. I want people to be able to improve it and I can see what they have
improved so I also can learn.
2. I want people to see how I did things and learn how to program with
android with it (sorta like how I googled to find how to code
different things in android
3. My current users are having problems or want things updated.
Wouldn't mind seeing them be able to still use this program.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I was wondering what your opinion is for best open source license to
>> use? I'm planning on open sourcing a simple program that I created for
>> Android as I don't have time to spend alot of effort on it and quite
>> alot of people are still using it. (So maybe someone might actually
>> benefit from it.)
>
> What's your purpose in releasing it?
>
> If you'd like to control how it continues to evolve pretty tightly,
> then the GPL is likely preferable.
>
> If you'd like it to get used, as widely as possible, as a sort of
> 'reference implementation' that people might use as a template for
> their own, perhaps rather different, Android app, then there is
> considerable merit to the BSD license.
>
> There's some room in between for other licenses, too.
> --
> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

 Want to send emails that can't be read by someone else

Some people ask "Why encrypt email?" The reason is simple: privacy. As
it stands, getting access to an email message is very easy to do.
Whether it's because of an email server being hacked, the email being
intercepted, or even laws that allow governments to go through all
electronic messages sent. You have a right to your privacy, but it's
up to you to protect that right.

* Encrypt with my pgp key which can be found here:
* https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/GetWelcomeScreen.event
-- For more info go here: http://www.gnupg.org/ for GNU Version
   or here http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=pgp
   for business implementation.