OT: Opinion, best open source license to use?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 21:37:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I was wondering what your opinion is for best open source license to
> use? I'm planning on open sourcing a simple program that I created for
> Android as I don't have time to spend alot of effort on it and quite
> alot of people are still using it. (So maybe someone might actually
> benefit from it.)

What's your purpose in releasing it?

If you'd like to control how it continues to evolve pretty tightly,
then the GPL is likely preferable.

If you'd like it to get used, as widely as possible, as a sort of
'reference implementation' that people might use as a template for
their own, perhaps rather different, Android app, then there is
considerable merit to the BSD license.

There's some room in between for other licenses, too.