Where's the culprit?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 19:12:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:17:15AM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> In the end there seem to have been two culprits, each hardware-related. On
> the one hand, there seems to have been some bad memory, as shown by the page
> faults even on boot via dmesg. I pulled the new memory I had installed, put
> back in the old stick that had been in there, and so far no memory problems.

How many sticks total did you put in there?

> The other culprit seems to have been the gigabyte ethernet cards -- I guess
> the system is too old to handle that speed, because with two different cards
> I kept getting lockups in ssh (or rsync over ssh). Again, I pulled all the
> gigabyte cards and reverted to the on-board 100Mbit ethernet controller. So
> far no lockups.

The A7N8X-E-DX from the same era has gigabit onboard and works fine
with it.  So it should not be too slow for gigabit.  It may not be able
to use the speed fully, but it is still fine to use and much better
than 100Mbit.

> No silk purse out of this computer sow's ear, I suppose. Thanks for the help
> and suggestions.

I suppose the motherboard could be getting flacky in general.

--
Len SOrensen