Where's the culprit?

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 5 15:22:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 09:39:02AM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:

> Is the time in the logs set to GMT?  My Athlon Opteron also froze
> yesterday.  I don't think it's ever happened before.  It happened at
> 1245 EDT. I am not using syslog-ng.
>
> Any freeze is often related to faulty hardware.  You could try running
> another kernel if you suspect it.

My logs are in local time, so it must be a coincidence. Quite the coincidence,
though.

I have made some hardware changes recently: (a) adding memory, (b) putting in
a gigabit NIC. Both are suspect. The first memory sticks I bought, from Canada
Computers, were bad -- running memtest overnight gave something like 71000 errors.
The next sticks passed memtest, though. I had trouble getting the ethernet card
configured, because I hadn't noticed that udev decided to rename it eth4 (why?),
but that's my fault. There are reports of lockups/freezes with the e1000 driver.
But there seem to be such reports with most gigabit NICs, apart from those made
by Intel, which were not in stock at three stores I checked.

I compiled a new kernel (3.0.4) with the e1000 driver compiled in, and ran through
the syslog-ng configuration along with logrotate. Now I'm waiting to see what will
happen. The past two times took about, ohhh, 18 hours from boot, so we'll come
around to that this afternoon. If it goes bad, then I run memtest again, and if
that passes I switch out the ethernet card.

If it doesn't go bad I'll find some other hardware to play with instead  ;-)

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42