Where's the culprit?

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 5 00:15:57 UTC 2011

Is there a dmesg that you can go back to?

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Peter King <peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Twice today I've had mysterious lockups on a computer that has generally
> run pretty well. I outfitted it with a new gigabit ethernet card that uses
> the e1000 driver, and set it up yesterday. This morning I found it locked
> up completely; the last log entries were a MARK around 1:00am (figures). No
> other clues. Hmm. I went to the office where the computer is installed, and
> sure enough, couldn't get a console. A reboot seemed to cure the problem.
>
> Except that it didn't. This afternoon I was updating the system via ssh when
> I noticed that it was running very slow. I managed to ssh in from another
> computer (while the compilation was running/frozen), and found that, of all
> things, syslog-ng was using 98% of the CPU according to top. I tried to kill
> it, but it would not respond to sudo /etc/init.d/syslog-ng stop (or restart);
> I tried killing it via its pid but no go there, either. A few minutes later
> the ssh connection was lost entirely.
>
> Must be something in syslog-ng, I thought. So I went back to the office where
> the computer is located, and upon checking the logs this time I found some
> record of a kernel oops. In each case there was no sign of the trigger, but
> the kernel module that seems implicated was e1000. All this under 3.0.3.
>
> Could a kernel oops cause syslog-ng to go haywire? I can replace the ethernet
> card easily enough, but I don't know whether I'm barking up the wrong tree and
> should instead be looking at problems with syslog-ng instead.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions/advice would be welcome. The system runs gentoo, and is
> an old Athlon64.
>
> --
> Peter King                              peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
> Department of Philosophy
> 170 St. George Street #521
> The University of Toronto                   (416)-978-4951 ofc
> Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
>       CANADA
>
> http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

> GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42

 Want to send emails that can't be read by someone else

Some people ask "Why encrypt email?" The reason is simple: privacy. As
it stands, getting access to an email message is very easy to do.
Whether it's because of an email server being hacked, the email being
intercepted, or even laws that allow governments to go through all
electronic messages sent. You have a right to your privacy, but it's
up to you to protect that right.

* Encrypt with my pgp key which can be found here:
* https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/GetWelcomeScreen.event
-- For more info go here: http://www.gnupg.org/ for GNU Version
   or here http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=pgp
   for business implementation.