Solved Debian update - keyboard responsive, Lennart Sorrenson not so much

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 31 17:36:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:57:30PM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> It's what you take out of my message which changes the meaning and
> intent. I just don't like people snipping out their words and leaving
> mine in, like you did in this snippet:

Are you complaining about following proper qouting style on a mailing
list?  That's the only thing I can think you mean.

> <snip message>
> > Simply rename the incorrect script to anything you want as long as it
> > doesn't start with K.  Then you will have solved the original problem
> > and NOT created a new one.
> >
> > But hey if you think you are smarter than the udev package maintainer,
> > go ahead.  Break your system.  Who cares.
>
> Nope I'm not smarter than him.
>
> Debian just uses LSB headers to deal with package maintainers.

I remember that line.  I still doesn't make sense this time.

"package maintainers" are human beings that maintain packages.
"Debian" is the organization that makes Debian releases
"LSB headers" are a chunk of text put into the init scripts to tell
insserv and similar what dependancies and defaults an init script has.

How exactly does Debian use LSB headers to do anything with the humans
that maintain packages?  I just can't figure that one out.

> <end of message>
>
> But hey, thanks for the input.

Apparently not.

I guess I should learn to stop bothering a lot sooner.

I often forget some people just want answers or solutions without caring
to learn and gain knowledge.

As for not helping originally, well I really had no idea why your keyboard
stopped responding.  I had never encountered anything like it.  Of course
I had never encountered a system where udev was being started twice.
It's not supposed to happen.  It does seem like a bad udev design that
attempting to start it twice can break things.  Rather unfortunate.
The Bug you found had the right problem and the cause, just the wrong
solution.  The right solution was discussed later in the comments on
the bug.

--
Len Sorensen