Solved - Debian update - keyboard unresponsive

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 16:36:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:22:24PM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> Renaming it to K disables the script which makes it non-functional as
> a start script, it does not turn it into a stop script. Unless the
> README file is wrong.

No it disables the service by turning it into a stop script.

> To disable a script in this directory, rename it so that it begins
> with a 'K' and run 'update-rc.d script defaults' to update the order
> using the script dependencies.
>
> For more information see /etc/init.d/README.
>
> I don't see what you think is broken. Certainly hot plugging is
> working now on the machine and in fact some of the buttons which
> didn't work on the ps2 keyboard are now functioning, so clearly there
> was a point to the update which caused the initial problem.

/etc/rc2.d/README:

To disable a service in this runlevel, rename its script in this directory
so that the new name begins with a 'K' and a two-digit number, where the
number is the difference between the two-digit number following the 'S'
in its current name, and 100.  To re-enable the service, rename the script
back to its original name beginning with 'S'.

Note the "To disable a service" bit.  That means to stop it.  It doesn't
say "To disable this script".

--
Len Sorensen