Solved - Debian update - keyboard unresponsive

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 15:58:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:43:05AM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> if udevd is called from /etc/rcS.d and that is parsed before rc2.d,
> its the redundant entry that looks to be the source of the problem.

Yes it is redundant and yes you want it to not try starting twice.
So rename it or move it or something.  Just DON'T rename it to a kill
script.

> What appears to have happened is another package installed the
> redundant S02udev entry in rc2.d. That machine does use parts of the
> unstable release for AV reasons. Some other reading tells me possible
> culprit is gdm.
>
> Rember the fix was rename the file not remove or move it. Moving it to
> K leaves the development tree stable

The problem is renaming it to K turns it from a 'start udev' script into a
'stop udev' script.  That is how sysv init works.  That is NOT what you want.

--
Len Sorensen