Solved - Debian update - keyboard unresponsive

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 12:43:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 01:36:31PM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Lennart Sorensen
>> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > Yes but almost certainly any usb devices connected later won't work.
>>
>> The web cam hot plugs fine. As do the two mice and the two keyboards
>> that are connectd to the box. He uses the wireless one's from across
>> the room. He's using a 42 in HDTV as a monitor.
>
> Hmm, well certainly renaming S02udev to K02udev would stop udev.
> That clearly isn't what you want.

if udevd is called from /etc/rcS.d and that is parsed before rc2.d,
its the redundant entry that looks to be the source of the problem.

> Not sure why any new device would get the driver loaded if udev has
> been stopped.

What appears to have happened is another package installed the
redundant S02udev entry in rc2.d. That machine does use parts of the
unstable release for AV reasons. Some other reading tells me possible
culprit is gdm.

Rember the fix was rename the file not remove or move it. Moving it to
K leaves the development tree stable

> Any device type that is already handled will stay working with or
> without udev.
>
> New device types that need a driver loaded on the other hand probably
> won't.

I dunno tried rebooting several times with several different usb
devices plugged in afterwords. All seemed to work out ok.

Got some device for me to try and test it with?