Fedora Core 15 Fonts

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 22 15:04:00 UTC 2011

| From: Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>

|    I am installing Fedora Core 15 on my desktop.  I downloaded the DVD
|    image, not the CD.  I have booted, and I am seeing some weird fonts.
|    The n's and s's are cut off.

I'm running Fedora 15 (no longer called Fedora Core) on my desktop.
But only for a month.  I'm not really thrilled by the new Gnome
desktop.  Maybe in F16 (next month, I presume) it will be better.

Anyway, it is working fine.  Mind you, the first thing I do after
installation is apply the updates, and there sure are a lot.

|    I anyone else seeing this?

This list has too few Fedora users to be a great sample.  Remember
that there are a lot of configurations and only a few are likely
misbehaving.

But: no, I'm not seeing this.

|    I am concerned because my computer has been acting strange, with Open
|    Office not working, and all sorts of error messages.  I could have a
|    hardware problem.

- look in the kernel messages (output of dmesg command) for diagnostics

- look in /var/log/messges and perhaps other things in /var/log for
  diagnostics

- leave your machine running memtest86 or memtest86+ overnight (I
  don't remember which program is better now, but either should do)

- check if any of your partitions is full

- be sure to apply all the updates

- fire up the misbehaving Open Office (on your old system) from a
  shell window to see if it reports problems on stderr or stdout.

- google for your problem

- report more details of your system (eg. video card)

- do a SMART test on your HD.  (Always a good idea, but not likely to
  uncover your current problem.)