How to slave a partial reverse-DNS entry

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 17:01:55 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I've got a bit of a confusing issue in setting up my DNS masters/slaves.

I've got a DNS server that I need to slave to a master I don't have
full control over.

The master has records for me subdomain, as well as many others.
e.g. it has records for
sub1.mydomain.com
sub2.mydomain.com
sub3.mydomain.com

My slave is setup properly to slave the "sub2.mydomain.com" zone,
which works fine.
However, I'm having issues getting or configuring the reverse records.

The problem is that my servers only have records in 10.3.55, while the
master has records that span the entire 10.0.0.0/8 subnet, and appears
to have one large reverse DNS entry for them all (10.in-addr.arpa).

I have no need for the ENTIRE /8 set of reverse records. Is there a
way to have my slave only grab the 10.3.55.0/24 (55.3.10.in-addr.arpa)
without any special configuration needed on the master?
Alternately, can I have BIND build/update the reverse-DNS
automatically based on when sub2.mydomain.com re-syncs without needing
to pull the reverse-record from the master?

Thanks,

Tyler