Which Linux distro do you use at work?

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 16:54:21 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 09:28 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Jason Shaw <grazer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Ubuntu and Debian on home machines with Ubuntu on my station at work and
> | nearly all servers running RHEL or CentOS.
>
> I thought that the RHEL license made it hard to run both RHEL and
> CentOS at a site.  Note: this is a half-memory, I could easily be
> wrong.
>
> The idea was that RHEL always involves support and they don't want to
> have you pay for one machine but get, in effect, support for a bunch.

We're a Red Hat reseller and there is no restrictions in their licensing
or support that would prevent mixed environments.

I used RHEL for customers who want RH support, CentOS on all other
servers/clusters and Fedora on my workstations and laptops.

As an aside;

I started my Linux career with Red Hat, switched to Debian with Red Hat
8 (original), switched to Ubuntu on laptop/desktop in '05, then switched
back to RHEL/CentOS + Fedora a few years ago with my change in focus to
clustering.

Debian/Ubuntu and EL/Fedora are both excellent distros with their own
quirks and benefits. You should choose which you want to use based on
your needs, not based on what everyone else is using.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"