AMD Bulldozer vs. Intel i7-2600 -- I don't get it!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 21:55:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Sure we can.  OS/2 and it's apps were multithreaded 20 years ago and
>>> could
>>> have made use of multiple cores had they been available back then.  You
>>> can
>>> thank BG for killing OS/2 and a lot of excellent technology with it.
>>>

>> No, that was IBM's fault.  I remember OS/2, because I couldn't afford it.
>
> So then, it was IBM who punished computer manufactures who dared to sell
> computers with anything other than Windows?  Or who took IBMs OS/2
> development money and used it for Windows?

When I lived in Texas, my neighbor worked for the PC division, and
they had a pretty spectacular degree of Microsoft-centrism, to the
point of being more loyal to MSFT, in some ways, than to their own
company.

Buddy couldn't imagine them finding anyone interested in buying
machines running OS/2, irrespective of how this affected the price of
the bundle.

And presumably other portions of the organization would have
difficulty imagining anyone wanting anything not running OS/400.

At the same time, my brother was doing APL development at IBM, and
they exclusively used Dyalog APL, even though there was a whole
division of IBM responsible for hawking their own APL2 product.  The
trouble was that they could get discounts from Dyalog that would make
it *look* cheap to buy it, even though the would-be license fees for
APL2 would have been 'pure profit' for IBM, as overall organization.

The divisions were exceedingly divided, with quite a lot of "ne'er the
twain shall meet."  Thinking about IBM as if it's "an organization" is
a pretty big mistake...