AMD Bulldozer vs. Intel i7-2600 -- I don't get it!

Ted ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 17:19:43 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 12:43 PM, William Park wrote:
> I came across a CPU benchmark
>      <http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8150+Eight-Core>
> where AMD Bulldozer (released yesterday) can't beat a year-old Intel i7-2600.
> Price difference is $80 which is nothing compared to overall system cost.
> Can someone explain to me why AMD is doing this?

The benchmark isn't really using multicore?, and bull has 8, so it
probably makes sense in a server,
but no dice on a desktop, having said that, its pretty sad how desktop
isn't making use of multicore in most software,
and by that I mean N cores, not 2-3.   There is a multicore zip program
for linux, but i don't even think its standard install yet.
We are a multicore world (on desktop) living with a single core
application base :( and the worst part- we can't blame Bill for this mess :(

-tl