OT: Weird Laptop Battery Problem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 11 21:27:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 11:32:11AM -0400, Stephen wrote

> These guys know their stuff and don't have the box store overhead.

  What he said.

  I was down there earlier today, because my laptop was acting up.  I
went there with my laptop and charger, and described the symptoms to the
guy at the counter.  He looked at the charger and did a double-take.
Then he looked at the battery and the charger again.

Guy... Do you have a netbook at home?

Me... Yes.  Why?

Guy... Because you're using the wrong charger.  The symptoms you
       describe are exactly what happens when you use an under-powered
       charger.  Try the other charger you have at home and see what
       happens.

Me... Facepalm

  It was all over in 2 minutes flat, and he didn't even charge the
minimum diagnostic fee.  All it cost me was a couple of hours of my
time, 2 TTC tokens, and some wounded pride<G>.  I'm at home now,
updating Gentoo (emerge system and world after a gcc upgrade), and it's
humming along.