Which Wiki is right for you?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 19:15:26 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 02:56 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 02:54:52PM -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>> I've recently been looking at setting up my own personal wiki.
>> Part of my desires is the it be F/OSS, and backed by a Revision
>> control system.
>>
>> Media Wiki is right out on the above two, and that leaves almost 200
>> others wiki solutions out there to choose from.
> Why would you want it backed by revision control when part of the point of
> most wikis is that they have revision history in them and easily viewable.
>
> And mediawiki only fails on one as far as I can tell.
Revision History, and Revision Control Systems are different in their
scope. Sure you can store revision history in a database, but with a
control system you can't pull it back out and manipulate it easily. By
that definition I would say mediawiki also is a form of RCS.

I'm picking a revision control system because most wikis based on them
leave the source in plain text files. This is beneficial to me as I
prefer to do my writing/editing in an editor, not a browser.

Using a RCSs like git or mercurial also means I can work on branched
updates to my wiki in private and then push them back to the public
instance when I'm ready.

The closest mediawiki came to this was with the 3rd party wikipediaFS
which was a FUSE based file system interface. Unfortunately it has
fallen out of maintenance and at last check no longer worked correctly
with recent version of mediawiki.

--
Scott Sullivan