TCP IP Offloading

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 6 21:47:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

I came across this today the first time, as we had an application that
needed TSO disabled and wanted to know if there is side effects of
disabling it. It appear that there is a lot of people and research
that imply that TSE is a bad solution and if you read the PDF, it
looks like they have a point.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2003-28/0029.html

This article below imply that TSO could help with CPU usage,
apparently activating it drop the CPU usage from 40% to 19%

http://lwn.net/Articles/9123/

Now the question is, is there an way network traffic can take 40% of
today's CPU cycles?  Most of the articles that were discussing it are
a bit dated?

It looks like modern Linux have partially enabled TSE, would it be
correct to assume all NIC cards out there support TSE?

[root at william ~]# ethtool --show-offload eth0
Offload parameters for eth0:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on