OT: Weird Laptop Battery Problem

Isaac Connor iconnor-8+tXeFxsjZXBNxJ6UmF5jlaTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 6 14:51:58 UTC 2011

On 11-10-06 10:48 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:02:07AM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>> Apparently if you drain the newer Lithium-ion to zero they simply die
>> and can't even be re-charged. This happened to me with a relatively
>> new external (and quite expensive) APC battery. The guys at APC said
>> it was because I left it uncharged for a few hours and it was exactly
>> what happened! I drained it whilst working on a plane and forgot to
>> charge it that night. Next day: dead.
> What kind of APC battery?
>
> APC UPS batteries are lead acid and certainly don't have any such issue.

I have seen UPS's that if drained and left will no longer power on.
Trickle Charging the batteries for a minute and then re-installing in
the UPS will revive the UPS.  I have only seen this on cheap ULTRA
(Powercom) UPS's.  Never an APC.

It's as if the charging circuitry needs some small amount of juice from
the battery to engage.  Weird, but I've had it happen 3 or 4 times now.

This of course has nothing to do with Lithium-ion batteries in laptops.
Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Isaac