Stupid RAID question

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 5 01:03:06 UTC 2011

  But if they really cared
> about that, they would have a jumper for it instead and let people choose
> to change the jumper if they know what they are doing.  Of course jumpers
> cost money too.

About $0.01 in quantity, including the jumper and header. I suspect the
real cost is explaining to people how to set the jumpers properly, ie,
customer support.

I'm in favour of getting rid of hardware jumpers, but there should be a
software controlled switch in its place.

So the support cost plus the opportunity to charge more for essentially
the same product may be driving this. (This business model is very common
in the audio world.)

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto