Stupid RAID question

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 01:36:17 UTC 2011

Alejandro Imass wrote:
> It depends. It's usual, and actually quite typical to have the OS and
> boot system in a non-RAID drive and then start your array from that
> disk. For example, older servers had a boot-up IDE drive and then from
> there you would start the array.

I recently set up a RAID array at work and a while ago at home.  I have
/boot on non RAID, but apparently it can be on RAID1.  On the work
server, I used a 2 GB slice of the 1st drive for /boot and used the 2 GB
slices on the other 3 drives for swap.  I used the rest of the drive
space for RAID5  I then put LVM on top of the RAID array.