Microsoft tries to block Linux off Windows 8 PCs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 17:54:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 07:00:54AM -0400, Alex Gabriel wrote:
> Sorry for the late weigh in, but here are some of my thoughts on this
> matter.
>
> Having read the discourses on this topic on this and another list, and
> having read the article, I can see the reason for concern.
>
> As far as I understand the situation, this has not moved past the discussion
> phase.
>
> If it comes to pass, then Linux users will be required to be more selective
> in their choice of hardware distributor. There are quite a few businesses
> that sell prebuilt machines without an operating system.
>
> If Microsoft chooses to implement this idea and, by virtue of their buying
> power, to coerce vendors into adopting it, then those that sell systems
> without an operating system can only benefit from the increased sales caused
> thereby.
>
> While this does pose a restriction on the possible number of previously
> constructed computers available, why is this a bad thing?
>
> Selling Windows as part of the computer purchase drives up the cost to all
> parties, especially the consumer.  Additionally, it increases the perceived
> market share of Microsoft because the numbers touted do not reflect
> instances where Windows is immediately removed by the user.  As there's no
> central body to maintain figures on the prevalence of Linux, and not
> everyone will report their preferences, there's no relevant data on the
> adoption of Linux.
>
> Really, this isn't much different than the tactics employed by Apple in
> regard to their computers. They force you to buy their hardware if you want
> the operating system.  Why is there no hue and cry against them?

If you choose to run apple's OS, you have to buy apple hardware to run
it on.

If you choose to buy a PC, you have to run windows on it.

Does that seem like they are the same to you?  You can run any OS you
want on apples hardware if you buy it.  You can run anything you want
on a PC if you buy it, except you can't buy it without windows which is
not even the company you are buying a PC from, and in some cases if it
is a logo certified windows 8 PC you might not actually be able to run
anything you want.

> Overall, I see this as something, that, should it happen, will be painful,
> but will ultimately benefit the consumer as more companies will be required
> to fill the need for computers without Windows.

It may very well case a pile of useless landfill to be created in a
few years when off lease business PCs can't run something other than
windows 8.  This assuming business PCs are locked down without a BIOS/UEFI
option to turn off microsoft only boot.  Given how businesses hate moving
to the latest OS right away, I don't see those machines as being likely to
not have the option however, so perhaps it won't be a problem after all.

--
Len Sorensen