Microsoft tries to block Linux off Windows 8 PCs

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 1 01:59:50 UTC 2011

On 09/30/2011 09:41 PM, Colin McGregor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Scott Sullivan<scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>  wrote:

>>> Only if you give Microsoft their cut... otherwise you can't install
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
>> The UEFI is only meant for pre-installed Windows 8 (Logo Program, ie, you
>> build it and install this way, you can put the MS windows log on the case).
>> It's not in motherboard maker's interest to enable those security features
>> when selling bare boards. If the did, the would severely cut their market as
>> system builder would avoid it.
> Sigh, no. Windows 8 will not boot without UEFI and there is to be no
> way for the user to disable UEFI. In other words if the motherboard
> makers don't include UEFI they know they will loose the Windows market
> (ie: 90+% of their sales). This may suck to the system builders, but
> they are not going to sacrifice that big a share of their market...
> Again have a look at :
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21/secure_boot_firmware_linux_exclusion_fears/

Collin,

I've read the Articles, there is a difference between UEFI and UEFI +
Key Signed Boot.

I already own UEFI motherboards, it's true that manufacturers are moving
there. What I was pointing out is that it is not in the interest of the
manufactures, when selling bare board at _retail_, to enable the Key
Signed Boot. What form that will take depends, but options include a
generic key or disabling the security features outright.

Also, when I refer to System Builder's, I mean small independent persons
or shops, not OEMs like Dell, Lenovo or HP (well... not HP anymore).

As I've read and understand, Windows 8 will require UEFI. And for those
wanting to be part of the Logo Program, part of that means for OEMs, is
configuring UEFI with Key Signed Boot.

Personally, I agree with the concerns and that this needs to be
addressed as the situation progresses. But there is a lot of play as to
where the pendulum will finally end up.

One thing that I think will be interesting to watch is how the Chinese
market reacts to this, or any other large market with a lot of Piracy in it.
--
Scott Sullivan