chilling: Microsoft's attack on Barnes and Noble (i.e. Android)

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 26 14:15:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is story is a couple of weeks old, but I'm just getting around to
> reading it now.
>
> I found it very interesting and infuriating:
>  <http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2011111122291296>
>
> Microsoft is threatening B&N via very stupid / trivial patents.  Threats
> include trying to block Nook imports into the US.

American "manifest destiny", as is recorded it in their own
documentation, sticks in the craw of a lot of people, including some
Americans. The idea that not only must I succeed but that all others
must fail is so entrenched in that "robber baron" mentality that in
one sense you must be a robber baron yourself, just to be able to
compete. I guess what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I
haven't bought a Microsoft product for myself since dos 6.2.

In that sense I consider myself a "privateer" :-) as after a brief
exposure when I trained in systems integration, I learned how to use
MS Windows by helping others who often were using non purchased copies
of the software. I did use non purchased copies at one time but now do
not.

Ok that's not quite true, every once and a while I install a copy of
another OS, just to see what the hype is all about, then I erase it.
Nothing is ever as good as it is advertised.

That's why the US has laws about how fine the fine print on a package
may be, 6 or 8pt I believe. Oddly enough here in Canada we do not. It
can be as teeny tiny as you want, except for smokes and beer's and
certain medications, all the rest is "let the buyer beware".