Encryption, paranoia and virtual machines

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 17:13:31 UTC 2011

There's two things I can think of that are going for encrypting on gues:

* Performance: The less you encrypt, the less you decrypt the more
performance you get.

* Ease of use: While encrypting volumes under gues is easy -- you just
set some options during the install that are no different than those
during installation on physical host, I have no idea how you encrypt
pysical volume on host and the install guest on it, in the sense, how
virtualization and encryption software will play together.

* You don't need to keep files in /bin secret all you need is to
verify that they were downloaded from your vendor and weren't tampered
with, there's a security term describing this situation,
confidentiality vs. integrity? Every major distribution has tools for
checking that.