Encryption, paranoia and virtual machines

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 16:11:07 UTC 2011

That seems kind of pointless, because the host can always read
encryption keys from shared memory. In theory it should be as easy as

# grep "search_term" /dev/mem

Then all you need to do is create a snapshot of a virtual machine's
logical volume and copy all data.

In the end you would have to either stop worrying about the company
that provides you with hosting service going after your data, or
you'll have to host your own hardware.

Encrypting logical volumes on shared host is snake oil.

Alex.