Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 13:30:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 11-11-25 04:24 , Walter Dnes wrote:
>>
>>   UTF8 is getting beyond plain text.  You could be doing Chinese,
>> Japanese or Sanskrit in UTF8.
>
> Well, that's good news for the more than half of the world that isn't
> adequately represented by ASCII.
>
>>  Also, what do you really accomplish by
>> using...
>
> They're the proper characters to use. The typewriter, then teletype, then
> ASCII, have a lot of wrongs to answer for. Two spaces after a period,
> f'rinstance …
>
>> Way back when, "plain text" was implicitly assumed to be ASCII.
>
> Wayer backer whener, it could've been Baudot. I mean, who really needs more
> than five bits in a character set? Lower case is greatly overrated. If

The man who founded MS said who needs more than 640k or did he?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9101699/The_640K_quote_won_t_go_away_but_did_Gates_really_say_it_

> that's not plain enough, we should use Morse - and none of that wispy
> post-1859 International Morse, either, but the one that Samuel hath wrought.
>
>> Now, with the advent
>> of UTF8, we may have to explicitly say ASCII, rather than merely saying
>> "No HTML".
>
> You might not want to do that. Firstly, it's retrograde. Secondly, you can't
> properly represent names written in one of the official languages of Canada
> in ASCII, and there's this Charter thing.

Retrograde or cornerstone of a plain language type? Like latin
languages as opposed to English, French or German and then there's
this french language signs only thing.

If people have a right to agree to disagree, they should have the
right for that message to get through.

Hell if I can ever get my matter transmitter working, I'll be pitching
lineotype slugs at this list.