Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 09:24:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:32:46PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote
> On 11-11-24 19:02 , waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >
> >    Are you using Microsoftie "smart quotes" ?
>
> Nope, I was using UTF8 typographic quotes; along with em-dashes,
> non-break spaces and ellipses. Adhering to the "No HTML" list
> stipulation, but showing that plain text isn't as plain as most people
> think.
>
> MS smart quotes where those nasty things that lived in the "do not use"
> section of ISO-8859. They were a Unicode U+1F4A9* and no mistake.

  UTF8 is getting beyond plain text.  You could be doing Chinese,
Japanese or Sanskrit in UTF8.  Also, what do you really accomplish by
using...
* em-dashes
* typographic quotes
* non-break spaces
* ellipses

  This is basically HTML "cuteness" via a backdoor.  Way back when,
"plain text" was implicitly assumed to be ASCII.  Now, with the advent
of UTF8, we may have to explicitly say ASCII, rather than merely saying
"No HTML".