Suggestion on samba & anonymous FTP setup

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 24 15:09:07 UTC 2011

Andrej,

> It's not something I've done myself, but to me it seems that username1 has a
> diffrent ID on the samba host than the ftp host (and that the samba host has
> no user with ID 500).
>
> That said, it's been years since I've dealt with samba but I'm pretty sure
> it can be configured to ignore the underlying UNIX permissions on files. Or
> you could allow a group with an ID that's common on both hosts read access
> to all the files, and tell Samba to use that group.

Thank you a lot.  This happened to be the problem.  When I created a
local user again and matched it to the LDAP uid, samba worked as I was
expecting.

It actually made sense now that initially, the directory was owned by
user 500 - existed on FTP, but there was no user with that ID on samba
server.  So, the server replaced "username1" with uid 500

William