Debian install over console

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 22:04:06 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 04:31 PM, Neil Watson wrote:
> I also tried with the last line being:
>     --nographics --autostart -x "install console=ttyS0,9600n8p"
>
> Each time I get this:
> ettin:/srv/virtual# /home/neil/neil/docs/it/kvm.sh
> Starting install...
> Allocating
> 'nwtest'
> Creating
> domain...
> Connected to domain nwtest
> Escape character is ^]
>
> Even after several minutes of waiting a console never appears. What have
> I done wrong?

It looks like ---nographics is causing the problem. From the man page:

--nographics
No graphical console will be allocated for the guest. Fully virtualized
guests (Xen FV or QEmu/KVM) will need to have a text console configured
on the first serial port in the guest (this can be done via the
--extra-args option). Xen PV will set this up automatically. The command
'virsh console NAME' can be used to connect to the serial device.

Jamon