Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 20:14:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Stewart Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm a real die hard. I expect to be able to make my linux to send
>> plain text when I want it to.
>
> What do you mean by “plain text”? Plain ASCII? That's harder to do

Sorry yes, I meant ASCII.

> these days — input systems will [rightly, I believe] correct legacy
> ASCII characters into more typographically correct Unicode glyphs.
> What was done in the past as a typewriter approximation should not
> continue on for eternity. After all, it used to be correct to type ‘l’
> for ‘1’  …

I think that having the ability to send email in ASCII is a little
like carrying a spare tire in the trunk. (travel spare) Even though
you have puncture proof tires on your car, what do you do if the tire
gets shredded by road conditions.

In my opinion, universality of access shouldn't be deprecated,
especially in open source environments. I think Jerry Peak referrers
to this as "feeping creaturisim." Features are added without an
understanding or regard for the underlying format on which their
predecessors have been developed.

Of course "out with the old, in with the new" and "a new broom sweeps
clean" are the mantra of some futurists. Idiomatically my answer to
this is "Make new friends but keep the old, one is sliver, the other
is gold."

Russell

>  Stewart

About me: