Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 19:15:52 UTC 2011

I've been reviewing the GTALUG message archive looking for transient
TR anomalies in posts related to my android problem. Also, I have been
reviewing some of the bug reports and am exploring this theory in
respect of the wisdom of reusing bash code when porting to ARM.

Bash syntax is so well noted for it's quoting, that it may be rather a
pain to port. Quoting with out authoritative reference, so to speak. I
note that many of the reported errors on this bug, which google may be
exploiting as a feature, involve the inability to correctly join parts
of a message. Whether it is just mime or plain text as well, this part
is still not clear to me, as I have as of yet been unable to coax the
mta to plain text.

It looks to me as if the google server upon receiving the droid's
data, chokes on multiple mime pushes from the device. High bit
characters are being orphaned as they pop off the stack. Instead of
the bits being authoritatively collected for /dev/null, when initiated
the mua, snarfs the high character bits up as part of any email
message and then the transport server(s), not the device, lack the
ability to adequately parse and recombine the different parts.

Considering the number of mobile apps which must connect to the
internet in order to work correctly and especially those which might
involve GIS data formats, having a mta which handles only base 64 is a
likely possibility.

I've downloaded source for cyanogen mod for my Huawei U8100 and put it
in my dropbox along with a more updated kernel here.

http://db.tt/fmSwSLJ3

Should have a new squeeze box soon. If anybody has the same phone and
gets to the mod before I do please let me know.

I'm a real die hard. I expect to be able to make my linux to send
plain text when I want it to.

Russell
--
About me: